Friday, July 3, 2015

MACHINE GUNNER IS MACHINE-GUNNED

Tommie Hinton joined J.P. Stevens’ Slater, SC plant in the early forties as a size mixer.  Forty-four years later, he retired in Greensboro, NC as Cost Director, Corporate Group, J.P. Stevens.


There was a short break in Hinton’s J.P. Stevens service – he was drafted into the Army in September, 1942 and served until October, 1945.

Assigned to the 95TH Infantry Division, forming at Camp Swift, TX, he says, “I walked all over TX!”  Maneuvers and specialized training took the 95TH to LA, CA and PA before reaching Boston for deployment overseas.  

In September, 1944, Hinton’s unit went ashore at Normandy.  In mid-October, as part of Patton’s 3RD Army, the 95TH laid seize to the German stronghold of Metz, France.



TOMMIE HINTON WW II & 2010

Acknowledging their bravado, a German general named the 95TH Infantry Division, “The Iron Men of Metz.”

November 14, 1944, SGT Hinton and his four-man reconnaissance team were ambushed by German machine-gun nests outside Metz, France.

“My buddy was killed instantly.  I went down with three slugs in my right side.  They kicked my buddy and turned him over.  I flinched when they kicked me, and was taken to an enemy pill box.  Later, I was moved to a more elaborate pill box.”

Unbeknownst to SGT Hinton, he was in the famous Jeanne d’Arc, the most formidable fortification of the infamous Maginot Line.



INTERROGATOR’S PISTOL & HINTON’S POW CARD

Hinton was interrogated deep in the bowels of Jeanne d’Arc.  “In response to every question, I gave them my name, rank and serial number.  Finally, they loaded a pistol, stuck it in my ribs, and pulled the trigger.”

The pistol fired a loud blank, after which the exasperated interrogator threw it on a table and walked out.  “After regaining my composure, I slipped the pistol in my boot and still have it to this day,” says Hinton.  

Hinton was finally taken to a hospital in Metz, operated by Catholic nuns.  “A German doctor put a rag over a German soldier and cut his arm off.  Next, he put the same rag over my face, sprayed it with chloroform, and patched me up.”

“The nuns said the Americans would be there any minute, so the Germans evacuated POWs by boxcar.  It took four or five days to reach our destination, Stalag IV-B.”

Suffering from infection, pneumonia and high temperature, Hinton was treated by a French doctor, a POW himself since 1940, who spoke no English.  “One guy held my feet, another held my shoulder, and the doctor put a rubber drain tube in my hip without the use of an anesthetic.”

“An English doctor arrived later.  He experimented on me with a new drug.  A POW since 1940, he had never heard of the drug, did not know dosages, etc.  After learning it was penicillin, I told him to load up the syringe and I would tell him when to stop!  In just a few days, I could walk!”

“The Russians liberated us April 21, 1945, but they weren’t nearly as anxious as we were to get us back to U.S. lines.  Two buddies and I dug under the fence one night and escaped.  The Russians shot at us but no one was hit.”        

“We made the 75 miles to American lines in 10 days – by horse, wagon, bicycle and walking.  German families along the way helped and often put us up for the night.”

Hinton weighed 178 when captured -- 118 when he reached safe haven.

After WW II, Hinton married Billie Meetze, and in 1957, the Hintons moved to Greensboro.  Mrs. Hinton taught school for thirty years, including twenty-one at Page High School.

Hinton jokes, “I was captured twice – once at Metz and once by a Meetze!”

The Hintons were charter members at St. Paul Presbyterian Church, and currently attend Starmount Presbyterian Church. 

Their daughter, Dr. Deborah Hinton and her husband, Dr. Reid Rowlett, are graduates of Grimsley High School.  They have given the Hintons three grandchildren, of whom they are noticeably proud.

Hinton has served as both Baptist and Presbyterian deacon.  No, not simultaneously!  He is not bashful about sharing his Christian faith, “I was saved before the war and prayed to the good Lord night and day during the war!”

His hobby involves the stock market, so I asked for a trading tip.  “Don’t trade – buy a stock, hold on to it, and reinvest everything.” 

That sounded so uncool until he said, “I followed this theory with 100 shares of Duke Power purchased in the sixties – those 100 shares have grown to 7600!”

Tommie Hinton -- soft-spoken hero of the Greatest Generation.  Thanks for your service!

Ol'Harry



No comments:

Post a Comment