Thursday, February 2, 2017

90-DAY WONDER NOW 95

Frank Heberer was one WW2 veteran I could hardly wait to write about.  He and I retired from the same company.  We were both from Mississippi.  Our Sears’ work-a-day paths often crossed.  He was an accountant – I was the accountee.  We both chose Greensboro for our retirement homes.

Heberer reflected, “I was raised on a farm.  When the price of cotton dipped to five cents per pound during the depression, we lost our land and my dad worked as a rural mail carrier.  I don’t know how he did it, but he scraped and managed to send me to Ole Miss.”

Heberer graduated from Ole Miss in 1943.  His timing for WW2 could not have been better.  “I was a ROTC graduate but they sent me to OCS at FT Benning as a Corporal.  In a matter of 13 weeks, I became a 90-day wonder,” he explains. 
LT. FRANK HEBERER 
    
LT. Heberer spent the early months of 1944 in Texas, training recruits bound for Infantry Replacement duty overseas.  Some of those trainees likely landed at Normandy on D-Day, June 6, 1944.  Heberer wasn’t far behind, “I walked ashore on Omaha Beach as a replacement officer on July 12.  I joined the 30th Infantry Division on August 14, 1944 – it was my 22nd birthday!”

It wasn’t lost on Heberer that the life expectancy of 2nd Lieutenant Platoon Leaders wasn’t good when he took over his platoon in Company F, 2nd Battalion, 120th Regiment, “I was a mighty lucky soldier!”

The 30th Infantry Division advanced across France and into Belgium, taking heavy casualties as they moved.  During the Battle of the Bulge, Heberer’s luck ran out.  He was wounded by shrapnel – on Christmas Day, 1944.
BATTLE OF THE BULGE CHRISTMAS GIFT WASN'T HEBERER'S FAVORITE

“I was evacuated to England for treatment and rehabilitation.  By the time I rejoined my outfit, it was just before VE-Day.  Our Division received good news, we would be among the first to return to the states – the bad news was we would immediately start training and equipping to invade Japan!”

Heberer and his 30th Infantry Division returned to the states aboard the Queen Mary.  The division had lost over 3000 men and over 13,000 were wounded in action.  Heberer earned a combat infantryman’s badge, two bronze stars with valor device, a purple heart and campaign ribbons for combat in Northern France, Rhineland and Ardennes.

 After one year, he was back in Germany as part of the U.S. Constabulary Force.  “Luckily, the war crimes trials had just ended, and the cold war had not begun yet.”

In 1948, Heberer left active duty for a job as comptroller with Sears in Greenville, MS, but remained in the Army Reserve.  I was lucky again -- when the Korean War started, they did not call me back.“  In 1949, in First Presbyterian Church of Canton, Mississippi, he married Elizabeth Shipley, his high school sweetheart. 
FRED BINDER LOOKS OVER HEBERER'S HIGHLY-VALUED
GERMAN WEAPON -- BINDER'S FATHER WAS ARMY OFFICER
WHO ALSO SERVED DURING THE WAR TRIALS
  
After an assignment in Jackson, MS, Heberer worked four years in Winston-Salem and 10 years in Charlotte.  In 1965, he came to Greensboro.  In 1987, he retired with 39 years of Sears service.

“I found it hard to work at Sears, start our family, and stay in the Reserve but they made me commanding officer of the Jackson, MS unit so I couldn’t quit at the moment.”  Heberer never got around to quitting – after 28 years of combined service, he retired as a full colonel.

For years, I kept track of Frank Heberer’s age by reading tennis box scores by age bracket on the city, state, southern and national level.  “I competed in U.S. Tennis Association Senior Tournaments for over 35 years,” Heberer says. 

The Mississippi native and his friend and long-time doubles partner, Dr. George Simkins, a black dentist and NAACP leader, may have raised a few eye-brows.  Their friendship extended far beyond the trophies and championships they won together.

The doubles team of Heberer/Simkins won multiple state championships in various age groups, often playing down into a younger bracket.  Heberer recalls, “George and I planned to play in the 2001 championship at Old Providence Racquet Club in Charlotte, but he withdrew when he learned it was NCA&T homecoming weekend.  George suffered an aneurysm at the football game and never recovered.” 

Heberer won the 1988 NC over 65 championship with Charlotte’s Bob Jones as his doubles partner.  Jones’ basketball-playing son, Bobby, may be better known in these parts. 

Heberer still looks, acts and talks like a tennis player, even though his tennis is relegated to television nowadays.  “My knees sidelined me in 2010.”  His last competitive tennis came at age 88. 
94-YEAR OLD RETIRED COLONEL PROUDLY FLIES OLD GLORY EVERY DAY

Married over 66 years, Elizabeth and Frank Heberer are members of First Presbyterian Church in Greensboro.  They have two grown sons and one grandson.   


      


            

No comments:

Post a Comment