Friday, December 2, 2016

CORPSMAN WITH A HEART FOR THE HEART

Please feel free to be surprised that I am writing about a veteran holding a patent for “The integrated bandage and electrical stimulation transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) device.”  
In veterans-speak, Kent Riddle is a surprise-mill.  From, “My military roots go back to the Revolutionary War,” he fast forwards to World War II, “My dad went down on the USS Yorktown during the Battle of Midway – he was in the water 13 hours before being rescued.”
Evidently, that was enough Navy for his father -- he joined the Air Force and retired as a master sergeant.
The Riddle military roots did not stop with Kent Riddle or his father, “My son, Jeff has a degree in criminal justice from Appalachian State University and did counter-terrorism operations in the Coast Guard.  My other son, Ben was a combat engineer in the Marine Corps and deployed to Iraq two times.”
As an Eastern Tennessee teenager, Kent Riddle enlisted in the Navy in 1966 – think Vietnam War, “I wanted to be a submariner – they wanted me to be a corpsman.”  Marines consider Navy corpsmen as Marines, and Riddle’s career path reflected as much – Camp Lejeune, the Philippines and Vietnam.
CORPSMAN KENT RIDDLE IN VIETNAM

“Serving as a corpsman taught me God’s will for my life – I felt destined to take care of other people.”  Riddle earned a nursing degree from East Tennessee State University in 1973.  Much like his father had done after leaving the Navy, Kent Riddle joined the Air Force – as a member of the Nurse Corps.“
RIDDLE LEFT U.S. AIR FORCE AS MAJOR

“After Flight Nursing School, I served in aeromedical evacuation.  We were more like flying hospitals.  In flight, it’s you and the patient -- you are called upon to perform diversified medical procedures.  I learned that performing intensive care and emergency room procedures at 30,000 feet in altitude is quite different from land-based operations.
I have always been attracted to treatment of the heart.  When the discovery and advancement of interventional heart procedures such as coronary angioplasty came along, I knew I had to be a part of it.”
Given the opportunity to supervise the Cardiology Department of Madison General Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin, Riddle left the Air Force as a major.  
After a few years, Riddle went with a California firm which developed many of the early breakthroughs in heart treatment and the use of medical devices.  He traveled all over the country and Europe, making suggestions for device improvements and enhanced treatment techniques.
Riddle became the California firm’s first product manager, but was attracted to another California start-up which dealt with a different cutting edge treatment of the heart – stents.  
“In the early days, angioplasty worked for a while, but the arteries often tightened up again.  Early stents saved lives by keeping arteries open longer, and as the industry improved, the success rate grew exponentially.”
Working during the frontier days of interventional cardiology and over the next 25 years, Riddle constantly sought ways to improve heart treatment and medical devices.  He ultimately earned two medical device patents – one pertaining to filtering blood clots and the second, which was mentioned in the first paragraph, which dealt with pain management.
“One day I realized my heart wasn’t in sales, stock prices, inventory levels, or return on investment – my heart was still in nursing.  I walked away from private enterprise, took a year off, rode my motorcycle across country, cleared my mind, and came back to Greensboro to resume my nursing career.”
RIDDLE SERVES AS RN/NURSING SUPERVISOR
FOR THE SERVANT CENTER
Two years ago, Riddle found The Servant Center.  Or vice versa.  “Serving as nursing supervisor at the Servant House has brought me full circle in nursing.  My duties now are similar to what I did in the military, except I do sick call for a barracks filled with homeless veterans instead of Marines.
“While the veterans under my care will not deploy to the Persian Gulf after their time at the Servant House, they will face significant obstacles transitioning from homelessness back into society.  Given that some of them have multiple medical issues, it is my job to help them make this challenging re-entry as seamless as possible.”
Kent Riddle and his son, Ben helped each other cope with their memories of war.  “Ben kept a small potted sugar maple tree in his barracks at Camp Lejeune.  He asked me to care for it when he deployed.  I planted it in our back yard and prayed over it each night until Ben came back home – it is now over 25 feet tall!”
Riddle chairs the Americanism Committee of the Greensboro Elks Club and was recently named 2016 Veteran of the Year. He has lived in Greensboro since 2005.
KENT RIDDLE MOMENTS AFTER BEING NAMED
ELKS CLUB VETERAN OF THE YEAR -- 2016

Visit www.theservantcenter.org to learn how you might serve alongside Kent Riddle.




No comments:

Post a Comment