Friday, December 2, 2016


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARINES


Thursday, November 10, 2016 is the Marine Corps' 241st birthday.  And a day later, Friday, November 11, is the day we honor all Veterans.

THETFORDS @ COMMANDANT'S EVENING PARADE -- AUGUST, 2016

The Navy and Marine Corps have a unique relationship that is difficult to describe to those outside of the family.  Amongst ourselves we squabble over petty differences, but banded together, the Navy and Marine Corps team is the world's most formidable fighting force.

Marine ego is rarely in short supply, so it is with some hesitation that I, as a naval officer, spend a few minutes to wish my Marine brethren a happy birthday.

Like my Navy career, family life has been entwined with the Marine Corps.  Heck, my wife works as a Civil Servant for the Marines...a "Civilian Marine" as the Commandant calls them.

Fifty-plus years ago my father joined a Marine Corps Reserve Howitzer Unit, which had recently returned from Korea.  Many in that unit returned with Purple Hearts and other decorations for bravery.  Some did not return.

A year later, he signed up for active duty and was off to Parris Island.  After four years as a Marine serving in Japan, the Philippines and onboard an aircraft carrier, he moved on to college, started a family and earned a living in the private world.  

To say the Marines were just a fond memory to my father would be an understatement...often times he woke my brother, sister and me up yelling "Reveille, Reveille" in a manner that would make any Drill Sergeant proud.  At least he did not throw the trashcan...  

A cousin and three of his classmates served as Marine riflemen during World War II.  They fought -- and all four gave their lives -- in places that read like the USMC Hall of Fame...Tarawa, Tinian, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

While researching the service of my cousin who died on Iwo Jima, I was honored to meet John Murphy, a Marine who as a Corporal in 1945 earned the Purple Heart on Iwo Jima.  He helped me dig through records at the Marine Corps Historical Center at the Navy Yard.  I have a picture with him, proudly standing next to the historic flags that were raised over Mount Suribachi.

OL'HARRY THETFORD & BGEN FRED SISLEY USMC (RETIRED)

Anyone who has worked with the Marines has something to say about them.  President Reagan looked at Marines quite favorably and said, "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.  Marines don't have that problem!"  

First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt noted, "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen!"  

Then she added, "Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"

I frequently remind my Dad that the Marine Corps is just another part of the Department of the Navy.  And he fires right back, "Yeah, the Men's Department!"  

Marine recruits are strong, cocky and undisciplined when sent off to boot camp.  There they meet their Drill Instructor - Stronger, Cockier, the Inventor of Discipline.  

Among other things, their D.I. teaches them "To err is human, to forgive is divine.  However, neither is Marine Corps policy!"  He will likely remind them, "All men and women are created equal, then some become Marines."

MARTHA THETFORD AND CAPTAIN HARRY THETFORD JR. USN AT
MARINE CORPS COMMANDANT'S EVENING PARADE, AUGUST 2016

I've had the privilege, and the headache, of working with Marines during many Navy assignments.  Every moment of frustration in dealing with Marine "logic" has been countered by a moment of amazement in the way the Marines can get things done.  

So to my Marine brothers and sisters, while I may enjoy giving you a hard time, I know whom I'll want on my team when the balloon goes up.      

Happy Birthday Marines! 

Captain Harry Thetford Jr. USN

A special thanks to my father...my favorite Marine and source for much of this material.  

No comments:

Post a Comment