Thursday, July 20, 2017

GREENSBORO VETERAN THINKING POSITIVELY AT 100-YEAR MARK

Without argument, Herbert Woodrow “Red” Strader is a numbers man – starting with birthdays – of which he had his 100th on April 29, 2017.
"RED" STRADER AMONG SEVERAL CENTENARIANS AT FRIENDS HOME WEST 

 “My first job was delivering papers for the Greensboro Record, at $2 per week.  My second job was with Swift & ConAgra Foods, at $15 per week.  After two years, I received a raise to $17 per week.”

His earnings took a hit when he joined the Navy in 1943, “I earned $21 per month and nearly froze to death doing it!”

After basic training at Bainbridge, Maryland, Strader underwent four months of anti-aircraft amphibious training at Lido Beach, Long Island, New York.  “Reveille went for us at three in the morning.  We practiced going out to sea and coming back ashore over and over again.  The main thing I took away from Lido Beach was that I was cold and wet the entire time I was there!”

Strader was an optimist, even in his younger days, “At least, I didn’t get seasick like many of my peers.”   However, he learned more about seasickness on his way to Okinawa aboard the USS Typhon, “We had some really bad sea days and I felt extra terrible.  It didn’t help my feelings one bit that the captain and many crew-members were seasick as well.”
STRADER MOPPED UP OKINAWA AND TRAINED TO INVADE JAPAN

From Okinawa, Strader witnessed the massive build-up of men and materiel in preparation to invade the Japanese homeland.  “We had already started training for the Invasion when President Truman made the decision to drop the atomic bomb.  To this day, I give him credit for saving my life.  There is no telling how many American and Japanese lives would have been loss had that Invasion taken place.”

Even though Strader was well-practiced in amphibious landings, Okinawa had already been taken when his contingent arrived.  He helped establish and secure Navy facilities on the Island, “We were continuously harassed by Japanese troops who held out to the bitter end.”  For one such confrontation, he received a commendation and a letter from the Secretary of the Navy, James Forestall. 

Even though Stader felt “extra terrible” when crossing the Pacific, he fared even worse when Typhoon Louise hit Okinawa in October, 1945.  “Tents and anything made of canvas were blown away, as were 80% of all buildings on the Island.  We were without food for several days.  I laid in a ditch to survive the storm.”

Two of Strader’s brothers also served in World War II – Frank with the Army in Italy, and Jack with the Navy in the Pacific.  “I have no doubt that both of them would have been involved in the Invasion of Japan as well – I’m so thankful it did not happen.”

Greensboro born, Strader’s family included six boys and one girl, “My dad lost everything we had in the Great Depression, I don’t see how he was able to feed our family – but we never went hungry!” 

Long life-spans ran in his family – his mother died at 98, his sister at 99, and his brothers into their 90s.  After attending Pomona, Peck and McKeever schools, Strader graduated from Greensboro High School in 1935. 

As a centenarian, Strader’s recollections might shock Millenials, “I never rode a school bus in my life.  My wife and I traveled a lot -- gasoline was fifteen cents per gallon.  America is the greatest country on earth.  I have surrounded myself with good and knowledgeable people – hopefully, some of that rubbed off on me.  Money and material things are good, but not nearly as important as family and friends.”

Youngsters of all ages will marvel that Strader reads three newspapers daily and follows the stock market relentlessly.  Oh, he doesn’t wear glasses either!

Post-World War II, Strader worked 44 years with ConAgra Foods Inc., which morphed into Swift & Company.  Along the way, he and his wife formed Yancey Investment Company, Inc., with considerable holdings in real estate and other investments, “I’ve turned all that stuff over to my son and grandsons now, I know it’s in good hands!”
STRADER AND HIS CPA, DEBBIE MARLOWE

According to Debbie Marlowe, his accountant, he has not lost his passion as a numbers man, “I wish everyone brought their tax paperwork in as well prepared as Mr. Strader!”

Strader is a lifetime member of College Place United Methodist Church.  He and his wife, Nessie “Nip” Myrick Strader, were well-traveled – it would be easier to list world-wide venues they did not visit rather than those visited.  Nessie Strader died in 2004 after 66 years of marriage.  They had one son, three grandsons, and two great-grands.

At his 100th birthday bash, Strader philosophized, “I’ve done a lot of dumb things in my life, but God has always been there to pull me through.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment