Friday, July 21, 2017

VETERAN'S STORY HAS UNUSUAL TWISTS

Among the military veterans I’ve written about, Hank Brodt may have the shortest length of service – only two years active, three years reserve. On the other hand, the months and years he spent overseas during World War II compare most favorably with other veterans. 

Hank Brodt spent all of them overseas.   
 
More precisely, his wartime experience includes time in five German concentration camps, a three-day death march without food or water, and one forced labor camp. 

In addition to being a U.S. Army veteran, Hank Brodt is a Holocaust survivor.

Post-war, he testified at trials of accused Nazi war criminals at Dachau and Bremerhaven.

Liberated by the U.S. Army’s 80th Infantry Division on May 6, 1945, Brodt did kitchen patrol and odd jobs in the motor pool for Army occupation forces, “There wasn’t much pay involved, but I met many fine soldiers who befriended me – I learned a lot.”

After rotating back to the States, one of those soldiers sent Brodt paperwork towards visiting the United States and becoming a citizen.  Just four years after being liberated from a concentration camp, 24-year old Polish-born Hank Brodt immigrated to America.

While living in Chicago in 1950, he was drafted into the Army during the build-up for the Korean War.  Ironically, Brodt was sent to Germany, where he worked in the motor pool.
“After being discharged, I settled in New Jersey, married in 1952, and two beautiful daughters were born to my wife and me.  At this time, I have one grandson, one granddaughter, and two grand-Shelties!”

Brodt was under a year old when his father died.  As a child, he became the breadwinner for his mother.  He never saw her again after they were separated by the Germans in 1943. 

He never saw his brother again after he was drafted into the Russian Army.  “After years of searching, I did not find my brother but did eventually locate his widow.  She led me to my brother’s grave in Israel,” says Brodt.  Hank Brodt’s first wife died in 1978 and he remained single for over 20 years.
ADA AND HANK BRODT STAY BUSY WITH SPEAKING EVENTS

In 2000 Brodt married again.  Ada Brodt, who had been born in Russia, came to New Jersey in 1997.  Her father was Polish and had been taken as a prisoner of war by the Germans. 

She was college-trained as a construction engineer and worked for the Russian government, “When Gorbachev came into power, I was among a large number of people who lost their jobs and faced severe persecution.  A friend from Richmond, Virginia helped me obtain a guest visa and I later became an American citizen,” she says happily.

The Brodts moved  to High Point in 2005, they also have a home in Sparta.  They are active members of Temple Emanuel in Greensboro.

Brodt, now 90, is in high demand as a speaker and spends much of his time sharing his Holocaust experiences, “I want to tell others for the ones that didn’t make it!”  A retired carpenter, he is well-known and appreciated among Habitat for Humanity volunteers in Greensboro, where he used his carpentry skills many hours when his health was better.

Brodt makes annual excursions to Poland and Israel as part of the International March of the Living, an annual education program which brings individuals from all over the world to study the history of the Holocaust and to examine the roots of prejudice, intolerance and hate.

Greensboro businessman Don Freedman has an interesting take on the 2015 excursion.  “My son, Charlie, a high school junior, and I were looking forward to rooming together.  Instead, I was given 89-year old Hank Brodt as my room-mate. I was more than willing to help him with his baggage, but he kept offering to help me first – he is Mr. Energy!

It was an honor and privilege to travel and share rooms with Hank Brodt.  While memories were made that will last a lifetime, the timeliness is stark.  The Holocaust ended 71 years ago – the Hank Brodts of the world are becoming fewer by the day.”  

On May 5, 2016 Fort Bragg’s 18th Field Artillery Brigade sponsored the Holocaust Days of Remembrance ceremonies – Hank and Ada Brodt were honored guests.
COL. GUY TROY USA (RETIRED) WITH ADA AND HANK BRODT
GUY IS A WW II VETERAN WHO FIRST MET HANK DURING THE WAR TRIALS

Even though he lost his family and suffered through inhumane conditions throughout his youth, “I actually consider myself extremely fortunate, “ Brodt admits. 

The U. S. Holocaust Memorial Museum estimates over two million Jews died in German concentration camps.










No comments:

Post a Comment